Event announcement - Miriam Gonzalez will speak on 19 Feb to debate women’s equality in the media
HOT OFF THE PRESS - “Do women journalists get equal opportunities and pay?” will be the subject debated at a London Press Club event, it has been announced today.
The debate is being held in association with the Society of Editors, Women in Journalism and the Stationers & Newspapermakers livery company. This will be on Monday 19 February, 18:30 at Stationers' Hall in London.
London Press Club Chairman and Inspiring Girls Trustee Doug Wills said: “This will undoubtedly be one of the big media issues of this year. The London Press Club is delighted to this year be joined by Inspiring Girls, the Society of Editors and Women in Journalism with such a terrific panel of high profile and committed professionals. It will be a great evening.”
Debating this question will be a panel chaired by Anne McElvoy, Senior Editor at The Economist, columnist and broadcaster. The panel includes:
- Miriam Gonzalez, Founder and Chair of Inspiring Girls and a Partner of international law firm Dechert LLP where she is co-chair of the firm's International Trade and Government Regulation practice
- Sue Ryan, head of training for Mail Publishing Group, Director of the London Press Club and Committee Member of Women in Journalism
- Charlotte Ross, deputy editor, Evening Standard
- Charlie Brinkhurst-Cuff, deputy editor at gal-dem, weekend editor at Dazed and Confused Magazine and columnist
- Ian Macgregor, President of the Society of Editors and Editor Emeritus, Telegraph Group.
Chair Anne McElvoy, said: “One of the most pressing issues for facing the media is one side-lined for decades: the difference in roles, esteem and pay for women in the industry. I expect a rigorous and energetic debate on what this is and what to do about it.”
For further information: Guest tickets available at £5 (including VAT). Entry will be by reservations only. Members of London Press Club and Society of Editors will be free. To reserve your space go to: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/women-and-journalism-tickets-41817239489